|Let's talk about||
20th Century. Lets Reminisce. by Kid Loco on 2000-05-16 09:15:47
I was just thinking on a bus the other day (I spend 1/12 of every day bus-bound so I do that a lot) about a topic I could have raised, 'cos the fly one's not too inspiring. Here's what I thought. Who were the best people of the 20th Century? Its not easy, there were so many, so I suggest 5 categories; 1. Politician - easy enough to think of one of those. 2. Creator - artist, musician...... 3. Entertainer - Sports Person, Actor.... 4. Revolutionary - Someone who brought about major change. And a 5th category of either another well-deserving, or one who spans categories. My ideas follow. And, man this is a long start.
Reply to this
|My Vote by Kid Loco on 2000-05-16 09:21:56 | Reply to this|
|1. Harold Wilson (English Prime Minister 1960's-ish) England's boom-time this century, brought (partly) about by the man from Huddersfield (where I am from). Mr. Wilson it is. 2. Walt Disney - Has had an immense and long lasting effect, not just on the film world, and the cartoon world, but in society too. 3. Muhammed Ali - Not only did he have a great mind, but he spoke what it thought too. And he was probably the most superior man from the rest of their competitors ever. 4. I can't decide. I think Martin Luther King. Everyone knows of him, his work, THAT speech, but I can't help feel that his work (wonderful and inspiring) is sometimes ignored. 5. Neil Armstrong - However I feel about this I can't really deny that to propel a man to the moon was a wonderful acheivement. Armstrong probably isn't the right person, but seeing as he has claimed all the credit so far, I know no different. I've an interesting and apparently true Neil Armstrong story which I will tell soon.|
|Re: 20th Century. Lets Reminisce. by Amelia on 2000-05-16 16:55:18 | Reply to this|
Wow, Kid, I really resonate with the bus thing -- my commute is an hour each way. Except I just sleep most of the time. Otherwise I would have to go to bed at 9:00 just to get in time to go to work.
Anyway, thanks for launching a serious topic for a change.
1. While I appreciate your hometown boosterism, I don't think that England in the 1960s was really a leader in much of anything except pop music and fashion. I'm afraid that if you want Englishman for the role, you would have to go with Churchill, as the most influential in defeating Hitler. I have little doubt that WWII will be remembered as the key event of the 20th Century in the future.
|Re: 20th Century. Lets Reminisce. by Wash! on 2000-05-17 05:44:47 | Reply to this|
Heres my list:
1. Winston, good kid (aparently, I dunno, I wasn’t around at that time)
2. Louise Nurding, gorgeous solo artist
3. Jennifer Aniston, beautiful actress!
4. Change? Dunno much history, so ill go with that dude who had a dream.
5. Des Lynam, Brisitsh sports presenter. Des Lynam is god!
|Re: 20th Century. Lets Reminisce. by tommie on 2000-05-18 14:11:00 | Reply to this|
1. no one
2. Salvador Dali
3. Harry Houdini
4. Nelson Mandella
5. tie: Mother Teresa and Sir Alexander Fleming